The Blank Page
Hello, and greeting to "The Sticker album of the Witch".I've started this blog as a place to premier my experiences as the writer of Desperate for a drink Blizzard. It's my original book, it's about witches and it comes out in September, 2010.I never intended to record a book. For the beyond 10 time I've been by and large a playwright, sometimes a institution coach and variously a remedial test correct, magazine subject higher, community arts teacher, humorist comedian, notes clerk, learning wad lower, extravaganza MC, screenplay inspector, theatre anniversary higher and home tutor. In in the middle of, ahem, *temporary assignments* and acting, I've on paper musicals and screenplays and radio acting and done bits and pieces for divide. Sometimes - and totally at the will of other union - I've incomprehensible up articles and the odd chapter of an unspoken book... the feeling time that an feeling that may not fly for a direct or a fake could work in verbal skill, but they seldom did.With, of course, about eighteen months ago, no matter which eerie happened. I was in my intolerably hardly London partnership, half-sleeping in my bed-in-the-ceiling, in the same way as I had a strongly bloodcurdling dream. It was one of individuals thoughts that you know is a dream but can't get noise to get yourself out of. Dowry was no matter which dark and scary in it - a hooded plan on the edge of my impression. By chance a crow.Whatever symbol my intellect had invented in that dream, I knew it understood bad gossip... but in the same way as my give a call rang on the double, and I was bowled over out of catch forty winks, I wasn't flattered to be rescued. To the same extent of the dream, the same as of the eerie sadness in it, through I picked up the give a call, I knew that it was my mother profession me from Sydney to melody me someone had died. And, thoughtfully, I was apt.Meager amount worship that had happened to me through, and nothing worship that has happened to the same extent. In the same way as did track, even as, was that I started talk to union about it... and was stunned that a person I knew had a story about thoughts or visions or leader pack, stronger pack - clairaudience, telekinesis, eerie stuff. An exboyfriend told me his grandfather was a seventh son of a seventh son who had all kinds of unusual, unreadable abilities. I well-versed of twins who would recurrently bring the awfully dream. With union in my track started talk about a family member whose freakish try to find lost pack was actually based on visions.I found that it didn't question if union were tightfisted or openhanded, stanch or agnostic, or even what religion they were; upper limit union had a story about charmed phenomena. The explanations differed, but the incongruity was the awfully.It got me notions, about the material world and the natural world and the huge cosmos of phenomena that we don't understand... and I asked myself: "In the same way as if someone DID understand what these armed are, and how they work? In the same way as would they do with that knowledge? Would they store it secret? Would they bring to so other union wouldn't come time was them?" These questions led to me to notions about the Burning Grow old - that unpleasant fleck in mediaeval and Resurrection history in the same way as huge numbers of women and men were executed as witches across Europe and North America. We know upper limit of the sufferers were midwives and apothecaries, the socially marginalised and individuals having difficulties enjoying mischievous pagan traditions in clean Christian time. But what if... what if offer were "real" witches that the Witchfinders were pursuing - real magicians, with a moneyed knowledge of how to stream the world around them? If they were around us then, are they calm around us now?Every part of commune on earth believes in witchcraft and magic practise in some form. Honest today, Mediterranean cultures shock amulets against the Corruption Eye improved doorways, traditional Chinese wear red jewels or belts for the designate of their Providence Engagement, American Baptists park the "cursed" to exorcisms, the British unite the old pagan Yule wreaths for the Christmas database see. The witch, the psychic, the clairvoyant, the wise-woman exists in the pages of women's magazines kind information in the awfully way shamans or priests are calm called in in the same way as someone's unreadable situation requires an apparently improbable strategic. Honest the patriarchs of the Christian bible sought help from witches in the same way as mortal answers were short (1 Samuel 28 tells the whole story).All of these concept were animated even as my to become foamy in the same way as new-fangled eerie thing happened; I ran participating in someone from high school at the piazza present my parents' position.I went to two high schools, starting the take notes one in 4th rider of Engagement Eleven. At my original school, a girls' selective school, I'd been an arty weirdo surrounded by groups of intense nerds. At the take notes, I was calm an arty weirdo but, inexplicably, on my original day one of the girls from the having mass appeal group asked me if I considered necessary to sit with them. I raise the temptation I felt to strip my arty weirdo missile and ability the world of the well and having mass appeal, but my self-preservation instincts kicked in. I graciously declined and had have a meal in the art room ally until I found the other arty weirdoes who were kicking around (they weren't offer my original day - they were off time arty and eerie). I'd over and done surge about all of this until I ran participating in this girl from the having mass appeal group at the piazza, and I remembered it the same as even even as I hadn't seen her in 10 time, and even even as she was fountain mild to me, offer was calm no matter which indistinctly arch and conceited about the way she make fun of seeing as I was offer. I've had an advantageous life - I've traveled, done attractive and fun pack and had contact with awe-inspiring union but ONE Reputation Behind schedule with this girl and I went back to dear worship the old big Goth girl who the boys didn't worship. I had witchcraft on the intellect at this proposal and musing, man, this is why societies beg to support in magic; you would drawback every amulet within realize to protect yourself from the reproachful stare of the having mass appeal girls. You would light a hundred candles to be spared. You would hopelessly ponder the practice of Unclear Things if you musing you'd get out bubbly.Which led to the thought; what if I *hadn't* graciously refused that manage to pay for on my original day? In the same way as if I *had* found in my opinion surrounded by individuals girls and their fit boyfriends? The situation would bring been a trouble to the natural order so huge that mountains may possibly bring mad, lava poured directly shopping malls, black flurry fallen improved the NSW South Shores...And that was it. The thunderbolt. Surrounded by no feeling what I was ham it up or someplace it was separation, the story poured participating in my keyboard so expeditious that sometimes it seemed that I was typing faster than I may possibly connect with. Take a bore from a bore school and let her glue the having mass appeal group at her new school in a coastal town. Let her feel embarrassment and twist as she tries to sustain expansive arrangement seeing as falling to become foamy improved heels for the caring school badboy her new friends disparagement. Let snag babble in track secrets, resonant warnings from weird girls at school, dark presences at nighttime, wooden animals, the girls messing at spellcraft and explosions whenever our heroine and the badboy get too present...And that is the origin of Sophie Morgan, and the notion of Desperate for a drink Blizzard.